Water Will Hide From You
This leak caused water to travel under the wall into the next room.
One of our customers had a toilet leak that went into the hallway. She didn’t think it went under wall into the bedroom, because the carpet felt dry. Boy was she surprised! Our technicians came in with our moisture meters and were able to show her that the water did in fact travel under the wall and affect the carpet, pad and subfloor in one of her bedrooms.
Water will hide from you, it can seep under areas that are hard to see with the human eye or feel by touch. If your home has a water leak or flood, don’t hesitate to call SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West. Call us at 253-896-3000 any time of the day, any day of the week. Our technicians will be there to help.
Commercial Property Summer Maintenance
In the case of water or fire damage in your home or business, call SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West- 253-896-3000
Sunny weather is the best time to spruce up your commercial property, and in Washington State our window of dependable sunny weather isn’t as long as we would like it to be. Let’s go over a few maintenance tips that can help your University Place or Lakewood property.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts – pine needles, leaves and debris can build up gutters and clog downspouts over the fall and winter months. When the rainy season hits, the clogs will cause water to pool which may lead to water damage, including damp spots, mold growth, dry rot, and peeling paint.
- Get your roof inspected – getting your roof inspected once a year is one of the best ways to prevent roof leaks. If you notice any loose tiles or shingles call a roofing company for repairs.
- Wash off your property’s exterior – the wet Washington weather can bring in dirt and moss to the exterior of your building. With a pressure washer, you can easily remove, dirt, dust, grime, moss and the like from walls, fences, parking lots, driveways and sidewalks to maintain the outside of your property.
- Apply a fresh of coat of paint – this will boost curb appeal for your property. The paint will provide an resistant layer against the elements, and could reduce the need for major exterior repairs in the future.
- Clean up vegetation around the building – the summer months can be dry and the heat can make flames spread easily. Remove any excessively dry plants, and trim back bordering plants to avoid a preventable disaster.
CALL 8-1-1 BEFORE YOU DIG
Summer is here time to start those new garden beds, shrubs and trees to increase the curb appeal of your business. There are millions of miles of utility lines buried all over the world, hitting a line could not only cause an issue for you but your neighbors around you as well. So, before you dig don’t forget to call 811 (it’s FREE) a few days before you plan to start your project.
5 Steps to Safer Digging
- Pre-mark your dig site with white paint
- Call 8-1-1 or go online to (callbeforeyoudig.org) to submit a request.
- Wait the required time (normally 2 days)
- Respect the marks don’t move them or adjust them in anyway
- Dig with care, when getting close to markers it is best to use hand tools.
Please keep in mind this summer, when starting your projects don’t forget to call 8-1-1. You or someone who is around you could be injured, or lines could be damaged, this all becomes very costly. If you call before you did this can be avoided.
When we think about being ready for a storm it’s the obvious things like food, water, blankets, clothes, batteries and of course flashlights. It’s also important to remember to protect our home, after all, this is where we will be waiting out the storm for the most part.
Here are a few things that might be helpful in preparing your home for storms:
- Clean up outdoor items if you here a major storm is headed your way. Make sure lawn tools are put away and any furniture is either secured or brought into a place they won’t be thrown around or broken.
- Trim trees and shrubs around your home. Take time to inspect your trees to make sure there are no branches hanging or ready to be removed.
- Think about getting Storm Shutters installed, glass windows can be damaged or broken if debris get picked up by the wind.
- Make sure to have an option for standby power. Having a generator is a great plan in case of a long-term power outage, if this happens you’ll still need to power your fridge, stove/microwave and a few other things in your home.
- If you live in an area with high chances of flooding, you may want to consider Flood-proofing your home. There are two options when it comes to flood-proofing Dry and Wet.
If you find yourself with water damage or flooding after a storm. Don’t hesitate to call SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 253-896-3000.
Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your University Place / Lakewood Home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 253-896-3000
Preventing Mold Growth
Got Mold? Call SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West. Our technicians are trained in mold remediation.
Mold, the very word causes people to cringe. It does not take much for mold to grow, but there are ways you can help prevent the growth from starting and spreading.
The Washington State Department of Health has some handy tips for preventing mold growth.
- Stop water leaks, repair leaky roofs and plumbing. Keep water away from concrete slabs and basement walls.
- Open windows and doors to increase air flow in your home, especially along the inside of exterior walls. Use a fan if there are not windows available.
- Make sure that warm air flows into all areas of the home.
- Install and use exhaust fans in bathroom, kitchens, and laundry rooms.
- Ventilate and insulate attics and crawl spaces.
- Clean and dry water damaged carpets, clothing, bedding, and upholstered furniture within 24 – 48 hours, or consider removing and replacing damaged furnishings.
- Vacuum and clean your home regularly to remove mold spores.
- Check around your windows for signs of condensation or water droplets. Wipe them up right away so mold can’t grow.
Taking the necessary precautions now can save a lot of time and money for future remediation.
Top 5 Water Damage Issues in Homes
Water wicking up a wall after a pipe burst.
Water damage in homes can be caused by many things but there are couple things in your home more likely to be the cause than others. The Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety did a study to find what causes the most water damage in homes, here are some of the things they found out.
- Plumbing System Failure- there are two types of plumbing system failure the first would be frozen pipes, the second would be material failures.
- Plumbing Drain System Failure- most failures occur when the sewer drain backs up and overflows into the home or are a result from material issues such as leaking or corroded pipes.
- Toilet Failure- this will happen if you have faulty valves or clogged drain lines
- Water Heater Failure- these usually happen when your water heater is at its end of life and begins to corrode or rust.
- Washing Machine Failure- the cause behind washing machine failure usually from the supply-line, machine overflow or drain line failure.
For more information on what can cause water damage to your home and tips on prevention check out this page:
If you find yourself with a broken pipe or toilet over flow, don’t forget about SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West when you’re looking for water restoration. Call us at 253-896-3000 any time of day, any day of the week, we will be there for you!
How can you help your dogs during a storm?
Some of our canine friends are afraid of thunder and lightening.
We all wonder what we can do for our dogs during those loud storms? Some dogs are extremely sensitive to the loud noises and sounds that come along with a thunder storm. Most of the time we have an idea that a storm is coming, whether it is the cloudy skies or warnings on the news/radio. If you find yourself with a nervous or scared dog here are a few things that could help your four-legged friend out.
- If possible be home with your dog, if you are there your dog may not be as affected by the storm. If you can’t be home with your dog, try to set a up a person to be with your dog in your absence.
- Bring your dog inside of the home, if your dog’s left outside, he/she may try to escape out of the yard or inscape into your home. This not only can cause damage to your fence and home but could hurt your dog.
- Put your dog in a sound proof room such as a walk-in closet as these usually have no windows and are surrounded by many walls which helps to block out the noise.
- Play other noises such as a radio or tv turned up, this will help to mask the noises from the storm. You can also use thunder sound tracks to help your dog learn to cope with the noises outside.
- Use medication only as necessary and only as directed by your vet.
- Finally, do what ever helps your dog to be calm may that be a belly rub or sitting on the couch together for a quick snuggle.
If you find yourself needing any information here are some helpful sites to check out:
If you find yourself needing any help with water damages after a storm. Call SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 253-896-3000.
What happens after the leak?
Mold started to grow underneath the carpet due to an unnoticed leak.
Over flowed toilets, sprinkler systems and broken pipes can all be culprits in water damage to your home. When water issues in your home go undetected or ignored it can lead to major issues and large bills. Water has away of getting in all those little tiny places and can be easily over looked. The average cost on a water is between 1,000 to 4,000. This is not including any construction to get your house back to its original state.
A few things to keep in mind
- The longer your water damage goes unnoticed with, the more likely you are to have a mold issue.
- If your furnishings are not dried out properly and in a timely manner they also have a high chance of mold.
- The length of time the water sits can greatly affect the restoration costs.
- How much water was involved in the loss
- What kind of water was involved, clean water contains little to no contaminates, grey water contains significant amounts of contaminates, black water is extremely contaminated.
Water damage can’t always be avoided, but with the proper equipment and knowledge it can be cleaned up “Like it never even happened.” If you find yourself with a water emergency don’t forget your favorite crew, SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West is here to help 7 days a week, 24 hours a day you can reach us at 253-896-3000.
University Place/Lakewood West 24-Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West Provides 24-hour fire and water damage restoration service in University Place/Lakewood West.
SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today – (253) 896-3000
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West
SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.