Does your business have an emergency plan???
The first few minutes in an emergency can be critical. Do you know what to do? Does your crew know how to handle it? Who do you need to call? What steps should you be taking? When crisis hits know that you have a plan of action.
If an emergency breaks out, you want your employees to know what to do and who to call. Here are a few things that should be included in your emergency prepping.
Site and Facility Plans
- Maps of the building with meeting locations marked on them, these should be put up threw out the building.
- Make sure all exits have signs and areas are well-lit.
- Documentation of building systems such as the water and electrical showing shut off points.
- You should also have a list of all emergency and utility companies in the area.
- Ensure you have an alarm that can be heard threw out the facility
- Check to ensure there are at least two exits that are marked for people to leave.
- Keep a list of employees and anyone visiting the facility.
- Make sure everyone knows where to go during evacuation.
- Make sure that the exits are not blocked and if they are move whatever is in the way
- Confirm there is a designated place for employees to meet in doors if the conditions outside take a turn for the worse
- If there is a tornado or storm warning, ensure you have a location for everyone to fit and be sheltered from the store.
Shelter in Place
- A procedure should be in place where the conditions outside are unsafe such as a chemical fire making the air contaminated
- A communication system should be put in place to ensure there is away for everyone to either move indoors or stay indoors away from windows.
- If it is a multi-story building people should gather on the 2nd or 3rd floor and not in the basement.
With the proper training and planning you can save time and money. Let us help you with your emergency planning. SERVPRO of Tacoma can prepare an Emergency Ready Profile personalized for your business at no cost to you.