Fire and Smoke Damage DOs and DON'Ts
A home or business fire is stressful and inconvenient for all who are involved. As a homeowner or business owner, knowing what to do in the case of a fire may be foreign to you. These emergency tips will assist you in taking proper actions until SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West arrives. Please follow these DOs and DON'Ts to help reduce damage and increase the chance of a successful restoration.
- Limit movement in the home or business to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery, and carpet traffic areas
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odor
- Wipe soot from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim, and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light coating of lubricant
- If heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and turbs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures
- Wash both sides of leaves on house plants
- Chance HVAC filter, but leave system off until a trained professional can check the system
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to sstop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system
- Attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West
- Attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West
- Attempt to clean any electrical appliances (TV sets, radios, etc.) that may have been close to fire, heat or water without first consulting an authorized repair service.
- Consume any food or beverage that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water (they may be contaminated)
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock and air movement may create secondary damage.
- Send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set in smoke odor.
When fire damage takes control of your life, SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West will help you take it back. Call us at 253-896-3000 for your fire damage needs.