Thanksgiving Safety Tips
This Thanksgiving, stay safe when cooking by following these safety tips provided by the National Fire Prevention Association:
- Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking on the stovetop so you can keep an eye on the food.
- Stay in the home when cooking your turkey to check on it frequently.
- Keep children away from the stove. The stove will be hot and kids should stay 3 feet away.
- Make sure kids stay away from hot food and liquids. The steam or splash from vegetables, gravy, or coffee could cause serious burns.
- Keep the floor clear so you don't trip over kids, toys, pocketbooks, or bags.
- Keep knives out of the reach of children.
- Be sure electric cords from an electric knife, coffee maker, plate warmer, or mixer are not dangling off the counter within easy reach of a child.
- Keep matches and utility lighters out of the reach of children- up high in a locked cabinet.
- Never leave children alone in a room with a lit candle.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working. Test them by pushing the test button.
This time of year, kitchen safety is SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West's main priority. Let it be yours too!