Summer comes with many fun things BBQ’s, swimming at the beach, camping and spending time with family. Summer seasons can also come with wind, rain, and thunder/ lightning storms. When heavy rains come we risk floods, and high winds can wreak havoc on the power lines and trees around your home.
Here are a few help tips to keep your home safe during the summer months:
- Have an emergency kit ready in your home including these items: flashlight, battery powered radio, extra batteries, canned and dry foods, water, can opener, first aid, fire extinguisher, blankets, extra clothes and shoes, flares or whistle to signal for help.
- Cut down any dead or unwanted trees and branches around your home.
- Know the safest structure of your home to go during a severe storm, make sure everyone in your household knows to meet here.
- Avoid electrical equipment and telephones, instead use your battery powered TVs and radios.
If you happen to be caught outside during a thunder storm:
- Never take shelter under a tree or tower, lighting tends to strike the tallest object in the area
- Leave if you’re in an elevated area such as on a hill, mountain or peak
- Get out and away from any body of water
- Stay away from anything that conducts electricity including wires and fences.
If your home is affected by a summer storm don’t hesitate to call SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 253-896-3000. We are here to help!