Recent Biohazard Posts
Sewage Cleanup and Restoration
Water from sewer system backups should be considered very dangerous. The water is grossly unsanitary and may contain bacteria and viruses that could cause serious illness. Special training and equipment is necessary to safely clean this type of contamination.
There are three major types of contaminated water. SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West will inspect that contaminated water to determine the type of water and then plan the appropriate response to safely restore your home or business.
The three types of contaminated water:
Category 1: "Clean Water"
This is water from a clean source, such as a broken clean water supply line or faucet. If left untreated, category 1 water can quickly degrade into category 2 or 3 water depending upon such factors as time, temperature, and contact with contaminants.
- Water from a clean source like a broken water line
- If left untreated, can degrade into category 2 or 3
Category 2: "Gray Water"
This water has a significant level of contamination that could cause discomfort or illness if ingested. Sources for category 2 water may include washing machine overflow, toilet overflow with some urine, but no feces, or dishwasher overflow.
- May contain bacteria and viruses
- Can quickly degrade into category 3 if left untreated
Category 3: "Black Water"
This water is grossly unsanitary and could cause severe illness or death if ingested, and any contact should be avoided. Sources for category 3 water could include flooding from rivers or streams, water from beyond the toilet trap, water from the toilet bowl with feces, or standing water that has begun to support microbial growth.
- May contain untreated sewage, harsh chemicals, and microbes
- Water from flooding rivers or sewer backups
Sewer Backup or Toilet Overflow? Call Us Today- 253-896-3000
Trauma and Crime Scene Cleanup
After the police have finished processing a crime or accident scene, the cleaning and restoration process can begin. Many times, crime and accident scenes have blood and other biohazard contaminants that pose a serious health risk. SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West will respond immediately and has the specialized training, protective equipment, and experience to safely clean trauma and crime scenes.
Our technicians follow OSHA and EPA protocols to help transform an unsafe environment back into a clean, safe home or business. Our first focus is always safety, since crime or accident scenes may involve blood borne pathogens, harmful chemicals, and other dangers. We will always treat your property and the people involved with the greatest empathy and respect in the face of trying circumstances.
Crime Scene and Trauma Cleaning Services
- Fingerprint power and evidence-gathering chemicals
- Fire extinguisher residue
- Blood and bodily fluids
For more information, call SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West at 253-896-3000.
Harmful Wastes DOs and DON'Ts
Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences. A failure to properly remove such substances can contribute to unhealthy and dangerous environments. SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West is trained to safely remove biohazards and dispose of them properly in accordance with OSHA and health regulations. In case of a biohazard, follow these DOs and DON'Ts:
- Stay out of affected areas
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated
- Attempt cleanup of any kind
- Touch or handle items that might be contaminated with bodily fluids
If you find yourself in need of biohazard, crime scene, or vandalism clean up, call SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West at 253-896-3000. We are faster to any size disaster and will ensure your property is back to its preloss condition.
Biohazardous Water Damage
Any water damage in your home is bad. Especially when the water contains potentially harmful bacteria that can affect the health of your family and the value of your home. Toilet over-flows, sewage backups and other dark water intrusions are more than nasty, smelly messes; these biohazardous damages also introduce harmful microorganisms into a home, as well as the moisture necessary to support their growth.
A mop and common household cleaning products may not be enough for black water intrusions. SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West specialists are trained to safely clean and restore your home utilizing the following procedures:
- Identify the Source/Type of water
- Measure temperature and humidity for drying analysis
- Survey the extent of damage and inspect the premises
- Perform emergency water extraction
- Move and block furniture
- Provide floor service
- Inspect carpet pad/carpet and provide service
- Apply necessary treatments (disinfectants/deodorization)
- Utilize drying equipment and monitor drying
- Dispose of refuse
SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West understands how disruptive black water damages can be for your entire family. For this reason, we offer 24-hour emergency response and under normal circumstances, will have trained, uniformed technician on-site of a water damage within four hours to begin emergency mitigation services. By responding quickly with a full line of water cleanup and restoration services, SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West can help you regain control quickly while drying, deodorizing and protecting your home and belongings. We abide by OSHA guidelines and all applicable health regulations when removing moisture, sewage, and contaminants, disinfecting and deodorizing as they safely clean your home and restore belongings.
Before you risk your health by attempting to clean up the mess yourself, call SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West, your water damage cleanup and restoration experts at 253-896-3000.
Vandalism DOs and DON'Ts
Vandalism to your private or business property can be disheartening and even dangerous. As a homeowner or business owner, knowing what to do in the case of vandalism to your property may be foreign to you. These emergency tips will assist you in taking the proper actions until SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West arrives. Please follow these dos and don’ts to help reduce damage and increase the chance of a successful restoration.
- Hose or wash egg damage from building exterior as soon as possible.
- Vacuum glass particles from carpets or upholstery
- Save containers which reveal the ingredients of spilled inks, cosmetics and paints
- Attempt to remove ink, paint or cosmetic stains
- Operate damaged lamps or appliances.
- Discard furniture wood chips, broken pieces from porcelain, furniture, or art objects.
In the case that you experience vandalism to your property, call SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West for your cleaning needs. We will restore your property to pre-loss conditions “Like it never even happened.” 253-896-3000.
Contaminated Water Damage DOs and DON'Ts
Act fast when water damage occurs to steer clear of possible health effects.
Any water damage is disruptive, especially when the water contains potentially harmful bacteria that can affect the health of your family and the value of your home. Toilet overflows, sewage backups, and other dark water intrusions are more than nasty, smelly messes; these biohazardous damages also introduce harmful microorganisms into a home. As a homeowner, knowing what to do in the case of contaminated water damage in your home may be foreign to you. These emergency tips will assist you in taking the proper action until SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West arrives. Please follow these DOs and DON’Ts to help reduce damage and increase the chances of a successful restoration.
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after contact with contaminated items.
- Spread contaminated water by walking unnecessarily on damaged or wet areas.
- Turn on the HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air.
- Use household fans to dry affected materials and spread contaminants.
- Use products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to the contaminated areas.
About SERVPRO of Tacoma
SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
If you find your business in need of water or fire restoration, please call the professionals at SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West.